ALAN ABERGEL IS AN ATTORNEY licensed by both the State Bar of Texas and the State Bar of California.
THE LAW OFFICES OF ALAN ABERGEL, P.C. also provides California DFPI and DRE mortgage license enforcement defense services.
An attorney that represents you or your company in an administrative mortgage license enforcement case, can only be effective if that attorney is also a mortgage lending and brokering compliance lawyer, who is knowledgeable in TX SML, CFPB, FTC, and other applicable Texas and federal mortgage lending laws and regulations. A general administrative lawyer that defends all types of Texas licensees (nurses, healthcare professionals, barbers, cosmetologists, locksmiths, manicurists, etc.) is highly unlikely to also practice regularly mortgage lending compliance, and financial services laws. Being familiar with the procedural aspects of the Texas State Office of Administrative Hearings and court procedures, such as administrative appeals to the Travis County District Court, is only one aspect of effective administrative representation. The other aspect that is even more important is deep knowledge and experience of the substantive law that governs the specific license or area of regulation such as mortgage lending laws. THE LAW OFFICES OF ALAN ABERGEL, P.C. (“LOAA“) practices both consumer credit (as well as financial services regulation) compliance and administrative defense.
TEXAS SML ENFORCEMENT ACTIONS.
The Texas Department of Savings and Mortgage Lending (Texas SML) has two key areas of regulatory responsibility: the chartering, regulation and supervision of the state’s thrift industry; and the licensing/registration and regulation of the state’s mortgage industry. These two areas of responsibility cover the vast majority of residential mortgage lending in Texas.
- Regulates State Chartered Savings Banks.
- Regulates Residential Mortgage Loan Originators throughout Texas (RMLOs).
- Regulates Mortgage Related Entities, such as:
- Auxiliary Mortgage Loan Activity License
- Credit Union Subsidiary Organization License
- Financial Services Company Registration
- Independent Contractor Loan Processor and Underwriter Company License
- Mortgage Banker Registration
- Mortgage Company License
- Residential Mortgage Loan Servicer Registration
- Mortgage Loan Originator License
- Investigates and resolves consumer complaints, related to mortgage origination.
TX SML aggressively enforces the state’s statutes, rules and regulations to promote public confidence, protect consumers, and provide a healthy mortgage lending environment to meet the credit needs of Texans and maintain a safe and sound thrift system.
LOAA PROVIDES THE FOLLOWING LEGAL SERVICES:
- Representation in TX SML administrative hearings, proceedings, and investigations.
- Representation in Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC) administrative hearings, proceedings, and investigations.
- Representation in appeals of final orders of TX SML to the Travis County District Court.
- Compliance with Texas mortgage lending laws and regulations.
- Drafting of agreements, disclosures, and ancillary documents in compliance TX SML and other Texas and federal consumer credit laws and regulations.
- No criminal defense services are provided. Only administrative, civil, compliance, and transactional services are provided.